Monday, April 30, 2012

Miracle Monday: Treasure in the Sand

Treasure in the Sand

"Despise not the day of small things..."
As experienced by Thomas Walker  (aka: Dad)

As Winter's chill crept through Central Florida that February 1989, the icy wind of despair was sweeping my heart.  I enjoyed metal detecting as a hobby and I figured since jobs had been few and far between, maybe I could find something of value on the beach.  My life goals were disappearing.  Everything I tried to do seemed in vain. I loaded up my metal detector and headed for New Smyrna beach. The beach was desolate when I arrived. I set up the metal detector and began scouring the sand for treasure.  Everything seemed futile...even this day of treasure hunting. Clouds covered the miles of sand.  Any trace of sunshine was lost as thoughts of doubt swirled through my mind.  All of a sudden something caught my eye. A worn out index card was peeking out of the sand. I had no idea how an index card had survived beach conditions. The card contained scriptures. I read the front side of the card Matthew 6:31-34.  

"Therefore, take no thought saying, What shall we eat? or What shall we drink? or Wherewithal shall we be clothed? For after all these things do the Gentiles seek;) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow; for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."



I turned the card over.  This side of the card contained the scripture Psalm 37:4-5.  

"Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.  Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him and he shall bring it to pass."

I did not walk away that day with a handful of gold, but I gained something priceless.  I returned home with a treasure from God and a renewed hope that everything was going to be alright.  I carry this card in my Bible as a reminder. God sees us, He knows us and He cares. 

On a cloudy day
As I walked the beach
All hope seemed dismal and out of reach.
It seemed like despair had overtaken my soul,
I was losing my footing 
With no purpose or goal.

When like a beacon of light
God spoke to me there
His message was blowing 
In the salt spray air.   ---Thomas M. Walker








1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Tom!! God knows just exactly what we need, and when we need it! My love to the family dear old friend!

    ReplyDelete

Psalm 46:1 KJV

"God is our refuge and strength a very present help in trouble."

Blog Archive

All photos on this site are taken by me unless otherwise noted. Please do not copy them without permission. Thank you.

Easter Sunday

Easter Sunday
"Keep thy heart with all diligence for out of it are the issues of life..." Proverbs 4:23

Wonderful Wednesday

Wonderful Wednesday
Tea Party Today
Powered By Blogger